Sunday, May 2, 2010

Feel it Hot Hot Hot !....or is it FEELIN' Hot Hot Hot ! ???



I never knew the words to that song...anybody? You know that song from the 80's, it's always played at weddings. I have a whole list of songs I sing to the wrong lyrics, more on that another day. It's been in the 90's here at the shore for the past two days, summer is upon us!

We were on the road to AAU basketball games all weekend, and sadly, I was unprepared to make dinner today...my son's team lost in the afternoon, so no celebratory dinner out.

Since it's Sunday, and that means pasta anyway, I was just going to make a marinara sauce, along with some kind of meat on the grill. I had these cans of Redpack tomatoes on hand, (not my favorite, but bought on sale), and I found a little recipe I thought I'd try for Penne Arabiata. I thought it was fitting for the heat of this weekend, and lo and behold I had some hot sausage to go along with it. Hence this blogpost...hot food for a hot day.
My mind just rolls along sometimes...just don't let me wear headphones listening to "The Bruce Brunch" on 105.7 the Hawk (Springsteen territory) while watching my son's basketball game in a large gym that echoes. The ref almost stopped the game according to my son...can I get a big eye roll and "AHEM" here?



Here's the recipe for the sauce, just click on it to enlarge, only my big, chubby, unmanicured Rachael Ray thumb doesn't need to be enlarged. Boy, that was mean of me...her fingers are always in need of a manicure in case you haven't noticed, she must be too busy making all that dough. Martha Stewart always has perfectly shiny, clean nails...just sayin'...


Sauce bubbling...


Finished product minus the cheese...I didn't add the pasta water in the recipe, I forgot, it was fine though.


2 peppers and 2 onions sauteed in olive oil


The hot sausage...cooked in a skillet with 1/2 cup water for 10 minutes, covered, then cooked 10 more minutes uncovered, then I stirred in the cooked peppers and onions. It was too hot to grill.
Forgot to mention Johsonville is the best I have tried so far...perfect name for a sausage maker don't ya think? had to say it.

Now to the good stuff. On my recent trip to California I visited a few (again, AHEM) wineries in Sonoma County.One of my favorites was the Francis Ford Coppola Winery in Geyserville. It was under renovation, and the new grand opening will be this summer, I will have to return! Mr. Coppola was set to arrive in the tasting room to interview a chef we were chatting with that day, but it was a beautiful day and we had more places to see, so we didn't stay to catch a glimpse of him. Imagine that, me, passing up a sure fire celebrity sighting. I would have told him about the house we rented in Maine for a year from one of his relatives named Millie...at least that's what the realtor and next door neighbor told us. It was a joyous place, and we have some of the best memories of our lives in that house. I have lived a good life. Rambling again...back to the wine...

>
This is called Sophia, for his daughter. A light, fruity sparkling wine with beautiful packaging!!!


Beautiful label and wrapped in pink cellophane, makes a lovely gift.


I'm a sucker for anything pink. These come in a four pack with their own straws. Perfect for a girls day at the beach...Sundays at 4 at the Cove...wine, cheese and girl talk.







If you see these at your local watering hole, try them, you won't be sorry! Perfect for the hot summer nights to come! I am cherishing them until I can get more, but my friend Brigette and I tried the 2 missing out of the box during a spur of the moment get together last week...we needed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment