Sunday, January 24, 2010

Catching Up!

Let's just say last week was a wash...but here's what we had anyway...time to move on.
Tuesday
a small roast beef tenderloin, bearnaise sauce (Knorr), mashed potaoes, corn, Bisquick cheddar garlic biscuits.

and for dessert this:

icebox "cake"
layers of graham crackers, vanilla pudding, chocolate pudding, whipped topping, and frosted with chocolate frosting (back of the Hershey's cocoa box)

Wednesday, January 20, another basketball game warranted homemade subs.

Thursday, January 21, Sirloin Stir Fry with white rice.


The frozen veggies and sauce are from the warehouse club. I also added frozen chopped spinach and an onion.

Just a few drops of this hot sesame oil and some soy sauce gives more authentic flavor.



I also made a romaine salad with sliced oranges and toasted walnuts.

Off the cuff honey orange dressing:
Grated orange peel, orange juice, honey, ginger, rice wine vinegar, poppy seed, vegetable oil.


Friday, January 22
another basketball game, but early in the day I made bread/pizza dough, so we had pizza and fried dough. (deep fried cubes of bread dough, dusted with powdered sugar, a big hit!)

Saturday, January 23
Cheeseburgers and fries.

Sunday, January 24
Am I caught up? I hope so, wheww, that was fast...
No pasta Sunday! Our friends own a commercial scallop boat, and this morning, they brought us a huge bag of sea scallops. Normally they are much larger, but this time of year they tend to be about half the size of a golf ball. Since our house is only three people today, I had to freeze 2/3 of the bag for later. I'm not a big seafood fan, but I like my share of fish sticks, tuna, shrimp, and lobster. When I came to Cape May, I had only eaten scallops in a seafood pasta dish, and I wasn't impressed. Those scallops were tiny bay scallops, as opposed to the large sea scallops we have here. Cape May scallops are sweet as sugar, and larger than a golf ball most of the time. I like them broiled or deep fried, but most of all I like them wrapped in bacon. The next time someone says they don't like seafood, have them try these, they are awesome.
Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel about 24 sea scallops.
Cut 12 strips of bacon in half, wrap around scallop, secure with a toothpick.
I had 36 scallops, so some of the bacon is cut in fourths.
Sprinkle liberally with McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning.
Bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes, turning once.
" />
The rest of the story, which I will blog about tomorrow. We will be away for dinner, so some of it will be leftovers...

No comments:

Post a Comment