Wednesday, January 13, 2010

More Basketball, Male Bonding, and Mac & Cheese



Another whirlwind day during the height of high school basketball season. I had a 2 hour dentist appointment this morning, then visited with my mom, and arrived back home at a very late 2:05pm. I prepared this homemade mac & cheese in 25 minutes, along with plugging in my Chi iron, tending the fire, letting the dog out, only to be out the door again at exactly 2:30pm to pick up the player after school. The away game bus was to leave at 3:30, so time was of the essence to have a nutritious snack before he left again for the game. When I arrived at the school, he brought along the other 4 sophomores on the team. I didn't know if anyone wanted my mac & cheese, so I gave them an option-mac &cheese or a snack at WaWa. (a 7-11 type store, only better). They chose my mac & cheese! Back at home, the mac & cheese was done at 2:55, and I had also sauteed up some Little Smokies. Perfect timing, and things were going smoothly when I left the room to iron my hair. I heard the sounds of laughter, joking, and putting each other down, and I felt all warm and tingly with the male bonding going on at the table. Next thing I heard was a whack and a thud, followed by a small tinkle of broken glass. "Emily B. would want you to clean that up," I heard my son say. "Remain calm," I told myself, but I knew they were using paper plates, so I was confused at what the tinkling sound could have been. Down went my Chi iron, and off I went into the dining room.
the culprit...


then the damage...

a broken candle bulb

the little tinkle of broken glass...
No harm, no foul, and it was well worth the hassle of cleaning up. These boys have been friends and teammates since grade school...good stuff, the memories they are making.

Back to the Mac



Standard recipe off the back of the box, with a few jazzes
1 pound elbow macaroni, boiled for 4 minutes
White sauce made with 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) melted in large skillet.
Add 1/2 cup flour, stir and cook till smooth.
Add 5 cups milk, cook and stir till thick & bubbly.
Add 1 tsp seasoned salt (Lawrys), 1/2 tsp regular salt, and pepper.
Add 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, and 1 cup Locatelli Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
Stir till cheeses are melted.
Pour over cooked macaroni in a large bowl and mix well.
Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
Top with 1 cup additional shredded cheddar, and 1/4 cup Locatelli(or parmesan)
Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, till bubbly.

What was left after they housed it.

1 comment: