Sunday, January 17, 2010

Meatballs & Marinara 101 cause I've got a date

Tonight I have to scoot to Springsteen country to pick up my son from a ski trip. Maybe I'll see Bruce's bad assed, tanned self somewhere along Route 9. Hey, it's happened before...


To feed the masses before I go...

A quick marinara sauce:
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 6 oz. cans tomato paste
1 small onion, chopped (not pictured)
4 cloves, garlic, minced
1 TBSP sugar
2 tsp. salt
pepper
1 tsp. basil leaves
olive oil
Heat 2 TBSP olive oil in a large saucepot, add onion and garlic, heat on medium-low just till softened, about 5 minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic).
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, basil, salt & pepper. Rinse the cans out with water and add to the sauce. Simmer, covered, on med-low for 30 minutes. That's it, good by itself for just a quick sauce over pasta, or you can use it for pizza or other recipes.


For quick meatballs:
1 lb. ground beef
2 eggs
a palmful of Parmesan cheese
a palmful of breadcrumbs
splash of milk
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 tsp. salt
dash of parsley
Mix well and form into balls with wet hands(I keep the faucet running low,wet my hands after every 3 balls). I made 8 extra large balls today, because I'm rushing, and I wanted to change things up a bit.




Next, brown the balls in a non-stick skillet with a good amount of olive oil on med-low heat, turning frequently to keep their round shape...don't walk away expecting to turn them only once, or you will have meatsquares.



Next, I baked off 2 Italian sausages, 1 mild and 1 hot, in a 375 degree oven. Actually you can do this while you are frying the meatballs, but I wasn't that organized.


Add the meatballs and the sausage to the sauce, and cook on low for at least 30 minutes, if you're in a hurry. Mine's been cooking an hour and a half because I'm on here...the longer the better, but it's not necessary, I'm just a freak when it comes to raw meat, especially the ground kind.


Now you can handle the rest, cause I've got a date with the man below...
Before you get your panties all in a bunch, the hubby is coming with me, but, I might add, he likes him just as much as I do. I am proud to be a Jersey Girl!

Bruce Springsteen looks better in a bathing suit than I thought

No comments:

Post a Comment