Saturday, January 9, 2010

Magical Bliss




Being the mom of four sports-minded boys, I've been to my share of events at all levels, including traipsing all over the mid-Atlantic with one who played college basketball. I have many fond, and some not so nice, memories of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. With my youngest son a sophomore in high school,(that's him, above at the foul line) I'll admit, I've been looking forward to coasting these last 3 years. At this point, he doesn't seem to have a desire to play at the collegiate level, maybe that will change. But for now, he has a decent GPA, and is having fun with basketball and tennis, and has his sights set on Fordham. Which suits me just fine...none of the hassle of trying to be recruited and finding the right fit...been there, done that. I can sit back and watch other parents dream big. But something happened the other night...I got "it" back. "It", is my love of basketball. Here "down the shore" in winter, there's not much to do. It's cold, but there's not much snow. Excitement comes from school activities, a movie, or a trip to the mall 50 miles away. Sometimes it's nice being at the end of the earth where it's mostly quiet. But step into any high school gym in Cape May County on game night in basketball season during the cold, windy, winter, and you just might be treated to something special...hot and steamy, raucous crowds, chants, cheers, and jeers. Sit back and watch the video below. My son isn't on the floor in the video, he's on the bench, as he plays JV, and dresses varsity at a public school with 1200 students, no small feat here in New Jersey...but it's early in the season ;)

Cape teen’s basketball shot makes ‘SportsCenter’ Top 10 - pressofAtlanticCity.com : Cape May County

Posted using ShareThis

What a game! The next day at practice, word spread that the final clip of the game would be on ESPN's Top 10 plays that night. So we waited in anticipation until 11:50pm, glued to the television, with the DVR set on record. The countdown began...it wasn't #10, not #7, not #5....could it be? Commercial at #3...another deep breath,...it was #2!!!! Holy Cow! This game wasn't for a championship or title, yet both of these teams left everything on the floor that night, playing with 120% heart and soul. Yes, they are rivals, but they are not each others' only rivals. Unbelievable, yet it was believable, as we were there, and experienced that rare moment of pure, magical bliss that sometimes comes with the sweet taste of victory.


In celebration, here's my version of Cranberry Bliss Bars. I took two recipes from Mr. Breakfast and Recipezaar, and adapted them into what I thought would be more similar to the bars from Starbucks. (in a hurry and not good at finding links just yet, but I will add later)

Base
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup white chocolate chips

Frosting
4 oz cream cheese
2 TBSP butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar


Topping
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vegetable oil

For the bottom layer, cream butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with electric
mixer. Add eggs and vanilla. Add flour, ginger, salt, and baking powder, mix well. Mix in dried cranberries and white chips. Spread in a greased 10x15 baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

For the frosting, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla, then add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well. Spread over the cooled bars.

For the topping, sprinkle the chopped cranberries over the top. Melt the white chocolate chips and the oil in microwave, 30 seconds at time. Drizzle over top. Make sure chocolate topping is set before cutting. Cut into 20 large squares-5 x 4, then cut each square in half diagonally to create triangles.



Oh,and Mom, what are we having is McDonald's! Dad and I have a date at the Lobster House...a big surprise party and I have to get ready! Honestly, we do fast food at times, the kids of course love it (who doesn't?), and sometimes it's a necessity!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Emily, those 'bliss' bars sound fantastic. Whose surprise party was it at the Lobster House? See I joined your blog. Had to get a new password, and that is why it wasn't working. I will have to comment basketball musings later, since we traveled a lot together and separately; and frankly, I miss it. btw, if I made those bars, I would probably eat them all myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some in the freezer! I had to put them there...so hopefully this week for coffee...
    They seemed to be a bit dry, maybe I baked them too long, and also could use some orange zest I think. But still yummy.

    ReplyDelete