Thursday, January 14, 2010

"Moonstruck" Steak, M&M Brownies,Mac & Cheese, Revisited



None of us are feeling up to par, everyone has varying stages of sniffles, stuffy noses, and coughs. It's no wonder, with all of the running around and late nights we've been having. Comfort food to the rescue! Today I made pan fried steak, "Moonstruck style". "You'll eat it bloody to feed your blood," Loretta retorted to Ronny when he said he liked his steak well done. You can use any cut of steak (I used a T-Bone and a few tenderloins) seasoned, pan fried in a skillet, with butter and olive oil, as rare as you can stand it. For the last twenty-something years, every time I pan-fry a steak I think of "Moonstruck", one of my favorite movies of all time. I can watch it over and over, devouring every scene. On my last visit to my son in Brooklyn, he just happened to show me the "Moonstruck mansion" as we drove through the neighborhood. I had no idea he lived so close, only a few blocks! The house sits at 19 Cranberry Street, Brooklyn Heights, to be exact. If you're ever in New York, head on over to Brooklyn, it is quite charming. Take a walk down any of the "fruit streets", Cranberry, Pineapple, and Orange, then down Montague, and onto the Brooklyn Promenade, it's also where they film the opening credits for "Law & Order" with great views of the Manhattan skyline.
the house a few blocks away...
The New York home made famous by CHER Pic 5176487 - * CHER & CAGE'S...


A side of red sauce pasta would be nice, but that will have to be the next time.
I'm going way off my healthy diet today and breaking out the FryDaddyBaby for:
Sweet potato fries
Regular french fries (for the traditionalist)
Fried mac & cheese...yes, you heard me. I saw it on the menu at the Cheesecake Factory. So easy and an "unbelievable" thumbs up taste test!(leftover mac & cheese, cut in squares, then dipped in flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs, and then fried, deep fried!!! So good!!!
The Prep:

The Final Product:

The one at 2 o'clock looks a little pale in comparison to the dark brown flavorful crust of the others with the gooey cheese filling...truly sinful, but oh so comforting.


M&M Brownies
my version of the Hershey's Best Brownies---I couldn't find a link, so I took a pic of the recipe.

I use 1 cup cocoa, and double the baking powder.


I also add M&M's after I pour the batter in the pan, that way they don't sink to the bottom, and I like my M&M's on top. Yes these are leftover Halloween M&M's, but I'm calling them Mardi Gras M&M's...frugality reinvented. To top them off, I make a small batch of frosting for the top.

again I need a link.
I've spent many years perfecting these...thinking of selling them in convenience stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment