Thursday, January 7, 2010

Oh, No! Not Chicken Again!



I'm spinning wheels again today, I had a 9am dentist appointment, then I decided to run some errands afterward. First, a stop at Starbucks to treat myself to a Caramel Creme Brulee. I was SOL, since they stopped selling the holiday treat yesterday! I was so disappointed, as I have been on a strict calorie diet, and felt it was too much of an indulgence, now I've been left out in the cold...lesson learned...treat yourself before it's too late! With my plain ole non-fat Latte in hand, I trudged on to Bed, Bath, & Beyond, then Ross (why did I bother?), Michael's, Famous Footwear, Pearle Vision, Walgreen's and finally to Shop-Rite. Other than the prescription at Walgreen's and the groceries at Shop-Rite, I bought nothing. I must have been avoiding doing housework, I think. With the sun shining brightly, raising the temperature to 40 degrees, it felt good to be outside.

Another thing off the menu at Starbucks? Cranberry Bliss Bars, also a holiday-only treat. I will be making those tomorrow from several recipes I came across...in your face Starbucks! You shouldn't be taking things off your menu during a recession, because we will find a way to replace them!

We are having a simple roasted chicken dinner tonight, along with bow tie pasta, and a vegetable medley. During my shopping trip to Shop-Rite to pick up some bananas, I noticed Perdue Oven Stuffer Roasters were on sale for .89 cents a pound. "Works for me," I thought.

Roast Chicken
Preheat oven to 350.
Remove giblets from chicken, and do what you wish with them.(throw away)
Rinse chicken well, inside and out and pat dry with paper towels.
Season chicken with your favorite spices, here I used salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Cut a stick of butter into 10 pieces.
Put 3 pieces of butter in the chicken's cavity along with celery, onion, lemon, whatever you have.
Place the rest of the butter on top and in between the wings & legs...easier than melting a stick of butter, and it ending up in the bottom of the roaster pan.
Roast in the oven for about 2 hours.



Buttered Pasta
Everyone knows how to make this, but add some crushed red pepper, garlic salt, and some Locatelli cheese to it. If you've never had Locatelli cheese, run to the store and get some! My kids only like the Parmesan cheese in a can, and I like it as well, but Locatelli is so tangy and salty, I like to pour it in the palm of my hand and lick it off when no one is watching. I even bought a special shaker just for it!



Hopefully, we will be waking up to a nice coating of snow in the morning. Like a kid, (or maybe just a freak) I will be up in the middle of the night watching the radar on the Weather Channel and waiting by the window for the first flakes to fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment